Would you care about emotions, history & blah blah blah and downsize the stadium capacity to ~32000 or built a brand new ~90000+ seat stadium in a city like Mumbai where people are absolutely crazy about cricket? I would have done latter simply because cricket is not for classes but for masses in India. How do you expect 32000 capacity stadium to hold a WC final & only 4000 tickets to general public is beyond my understanding. Holding a World Cup Final is a matter of pride but I am afraid most of general public will not see it that way. I do not have lot of nice words to say about people who are running the show for being so inconsiderate to common man. I am sure come on the Final's day and who's who of the tinsel-town from ministers to corporate biggies to bollywood stars will be in the stadium and all the courtesy will be extended. How did ICC allocate finals to Mumbai without knowing the grounds capacity and not think about the fans?
I also would have liked to see fewer teams in the World Cup so that each match is a competitive game rather than too many one-sided games, lengthy round robin stage and empty stadiums (Non-India games) which just devalues the World Cup. I do feel for Associate members but do not think this is the right platform, you don't learn anything if you are trashed by a strong team. Twenty20 is the ideal format for them to compete with top teams rather than ODI. The current format is drawn in such a way that all top teams will make it QF even if they have an odd bad day in round-robin stage. I would have liked to see top teams play each other more at WC league games before knock-off starts(similar to 1992 WC). I am sure ICC will term this WC as huge success for monetary reasons because India & Pakistan will reach QF for sure.
2015 WC will have fewer teams, I will be keenly following if they change their minds in future or not. But in the end to my mind this WC will be another poorly organized event by ICC.
I also would have liked to see fewer teams in the World Cup so that each match is a competitive game rather than too many one-sided games, lengthy round robin stage and empty stadiums (Non-India games) which just devalues the World Cup. I do feel for Associate members but do not think this is the right platform, you don't learn anything if you are trashed by a strong team. Twenty20 is the ideal format for them to compete with top teams rather than ODI. The current format is drawn in such a way that all top teams will make it QF even if they have an odd bad day in round-robin stage. I would have liked to see top teams play each other more at WC league games before knock-off starts(similar to 1992 WC). I am sure ICC will term this WC as huge success for monetary reasons because India & Pakistan will reach QF for sure.
2015 WC will have fewer teams, I will be keenly following if they change their minds in future or not. But in the end to my mind this WC will be another poorly organized event by ICC.
No comments:
Post a Comment