Wednesday, February 16, 2011

World Cup Memories

World Cup starts in a couple of days and I am really looking forward to it but I paused briefly for a moment to look back at all the previous editions & thought about my memories which stand-out from each one of them.

1975 & 1979 edition-
I have no recollection of these editions since I was not born but all I new was West Indies were a real dominant force under the stewardship of Sir Clive Lloyd and had one of the finest players to play the game.

1983 edition-
My memories for this WC is via old footage of WC finals since I was a toddler back then . What stood out was Kapil paaji running behind catch to dismiss Viv Richard at mid-wicket & Kapil Dev lifting the trophy which changed the way people looked at cricket in India. Also 175 versus Zim which was scored by Kapil Dev when India were in doldrums but sadly no one except for spectators on the day got to watch it since BBC was on strike that day.

1987 edition-
Well I really do not have any memories for this one except Aussies won 1987 edition.

1992 edition-
This was the time when I started understanding cricket, catch by Ajay Jadeja in the deep vs Australia was truly a brilliant one which was not common for an Indian in those days. Wasim Akram's deadly around the wicket spell and specially Wasim's celebration run after the wicket of Chris Lewis in which he knocks off Moin Khan. Imran lifting the Crystal. Kiran More Vs Miandad incident.

1996 edition-
The match in Mumbai which I did not go for and missed crafty inngs from Mark Waugh & 90 from Sachin where he took on McGrath. It was all about Sanath, destroyer of bowling attacks, he finished off Prabhakar's career in style, never saw a fast bowler switch to off-breaks. Crying Kambli. Great collapse by WI in Mohali to award Aussie Final spot and yes Kenya shocking WI in Pune. How can I forget the sweet win vs pakistan in Banglore. Prasad vs Sohail, Jadeja destroying Waqar & curtains to Miandad.

1999 edition-
India again beating Pakistan but this will be remembered for great Aussie fighting spirit particularly by Steve Waugh and stupidity from SA during the super six game (Gibbs) and Semi-Final (Donald). Perfect balls from McGrath to dismiss Lara, Tendulkar & Dravid at various stages. Pakistan for denying fans of a worthy final.

2003 edition-
India's brillaint performance apart from two bad one's vs Aussies (group stage & finals). The great blunder from SA on Duckworth Lewis. Ponting & Martyn toying with India's attack in the Final but the winner has to be beating Pakistan, Sachin's brilliant 98, awesome drives to Wasim, Waqar & third man six to Shoaib. The best Sach inngs.

2007 edition-
Disaster, even if we had 15 Sachin in the sqaud we were destined to loose since we had the wrong coach.
Boring and forgettable WC, Aussies were all over and no other team seemed to compete. Pakistan & India getting knocked out. Sad turn of events in Pakistan camp with the death of Bob Woolmer.  

Looking forward for an exciting WC'2011 with closely fought matches and truly classic performances to remember. Hope Sachin has enough in the tank for one last one. Want to see him play in Wankhede.

No comments:

Post a Comment